View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Horselover

Originally Posted by wendyjane40 View Post
I quit drinking 213 days ago, and made it 6 months without having a sip. Then I just decided I didn't want to be sober anymore, I guess you could say I relapsed. So for the past month or so I have been drinking just about every other day, sometimes just 1 drink, sometimes until I get so hammered I throw up and have a lovely 3 day hangover. I just don't understand why I do this to myself. I made a commitment to myself to quit drinking and was very happy for the 6 months that I was sober. Now I'm miserable and living with guilt on a daily basis. I am ready to give it up again, but I am wondering how common it is to relapse and how people get past it. I know what alcohol does to me and I don't like it, so why is it so hard for me to stay sober? It seems as though it should be so simple..
Welcome to SR. This is a great support group if you want to be sober. 6 months is a long time and I am sure you learned some ways to fight through urges at that time. When you relapsed, was it just a spontaneous moment or was it a "planned" relapse? I ask that because when the thoughts of relapse enter your head that is the time to step up the recovery program. I think when we relapse after a long time of sobriety that we do it way before the drink hits our lips. Know what I mean? Yes people relapse, but many don't. The ones that do and want to recover for good pick apart what caused the trigger and then defend themselves heavily so it doesn't happen again. If you've learned from this relapse then it wasn't a total loss.

Whatever you do don't give up! As has been said, just get right back on the horse now. It won't be easy, but do whatever it takes for the next 24 hours and then repeat tomorrow.