Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chicubs1

I need to vent...and hopefully it will help other newbies

I need to vent and hopefully this will help other newbies. I was prepared to lose a few heavy drinking friends due to my recovery, but the latest one has shocked me. One of my oldest and best friends has been anything but supportive of my journey. This is the guy who was best man in my wedding, godfather to my oldest child, and someone I saw through a major health scare. But apparently alcohol trumps all of that. In his mind I'm going through a phase and I'll magically be able to control my addiction after only 4 months in recovery. My wife and most of my other friends who know are very supportive. And my best friend who is also in recovery and I are continually finding things to do that don't involve alcohol and I'm amazed at how much fun I'm having without it. I can handle the bars now without drinking, but I've rediscovered there's a lot more out there and choose to do other things. I don't want to lose this relationship because of the connection he has to me and my family, but other than this I have really gotten my life back on track and don't need anyone or anything bringing me down. Thanks for letting me vent and if anyone has any advice on this one it would be appreciated as well.