View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
2manyBobs

tempted

Posted for the first time here a little while back- decided to stop drinking altogether this month. It has been easy so far until yesterday, which brought up a big problem.

I have a couple of chronic pain issues, for one of which I am under a neurologist's care. Usually they're pretty much under control and I don't have to take any strong drugs for them, nor do I have a prescription for anything of that description. In the past when I was feeling really physically bad, if nothing else worked I would eventually resort very heavily to alcohol to dull the pain and discomfort.These issues run in my family, and I have been dealing with them with and without medical professionals for about 30 years now. There's no real easy fix for them, and I don't really know if anything else can be done to help . They interfere with my life periodically but they don't ruin it.

Well, this month I thought I was doing so well not drinking, not even being tempted to drink, when bam! I have a pain flare-up, start feeling really crappy, and my usual medication and OTC remedies and sleep and rest and nothing is working...for one day, then two. I can hold out for one, but by the end of the second I am starting to think that if I don't get some relief I am going to go nuts. I started seriously thinking about getting a bottle of wine.

Well, I really didn't want to, and so far I haven't, even though I'm still not feeling good yet. I guess there's nothing to do but lie around and wait it out. It has to stop sometime. It always has before. But this is a big red flag of temptation for me. How do I deal with this?