View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

Well, this thread has been sitting here long enough without a response.
I'll go.
There's just some things that are unacceptable. Like my drinking and all the ill effects of the malady.
So let me toss a wrench into the machine.
When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation
So I've gotten myself into a situation I can no longer accept.
"Life on Life's Terms" indicates that I'm an alcoholic and alcoholics drink.
As an alcoholic I've managed to paint myself into a corner where I'm surrounded by people that take issue wth me.
Do I "accept" them and keep drinking?

OK, No I don't. I quit drinking and clean up my act.

What about the past and all the damage I've done?
Do I accept it? Or do I clean house and make amends?

One of my biggest fears when I was drinking was that I would either get sober some day or die from alcoholism.
But to get sober I had to find God first. I had brief introductions to AA from time totime all through the 80s and 90s and they all said I had to find God.
Unacceptable once again. I knew enough about God to scare the **** out of me. I wasn't afraid of God. I was afraid of being of the mentality that I had to keep turning the other cheek. Milktoast, wearing rose colored glasses! That's not me and I didn't want to become that person. I had to find the dividing line between the acceptable and the unacceptable. I also had to do so without giving up my right to assert myself.
As a "Recovered" alcoholic I still have rights to my emotions. I'm still allowed to get angry. It's how I act on my emotions that make all the difference in dealing with the unacceptable.
Cudas will and Gods will need to jive here. We need to deal with situations as God would have us. Otherwise impulse takes over and we become the dreaded "Dry Drunk"
It's just like a real life Goofus and Gallant from the magazines.
Anyways, as usual this is just my opinion and not to be taken as actual fact. I'm just typing away and got on a tangent. I'm really supposed to be shampooing carpets.