Thread: Hi I'm New :)
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quillan

i'm also new here today. something possessed me to look up alcoholic support sites as well - something pretty specific, actually, which is panic attacks after my latest bender. like Kmber2010, the first time i had a withdrawal panic attack, i was certain i was having a heart attack and went to the ER. that was in 2003.

i have continued to drink, off and on, despite the recurring panic attacks, which are now accompanied by convulsions and spasms. addiction is pretty powerful stuff. benzos help, but obviously that is a very poor way to handle the situation. i'm killing myself.

every time i'm in the throes of a severe withdrawal, i promise to never use again. this time i'm sufficiently freaked out that i really hope to stay sober.

like you, phoenix fire, i'm pretty accomplished. i had to stay sober to get through law school at a top institution. i then went to work at various prestigious posts. but once i started drinking again, my career went downhill. i'm still doing pretty well, but nothing like i would be if i had stayed sober. and that's depressing. i also lot several wonderful women because they got tired of dating a drunk. who wouldn't?

give sobriety a try. after a few weeks, you'll notice that you are intellectually sharper, more curious, and your vocabulary and creativity will improve. i wish i'd stopped at 25. i can imagine a much richer life now - a lovely wife and kids, for example. and a job i truly love, instead of one i merely like.

good luck. i wish you the best.