Thread: Please
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ferrari355

Mattcake79, thanks for your post.

I am in a moderation phase albeit I still drink slightly more than I'm comfortable with. 60% AF days this year to date which is much better than any recent year. Long term goal is abstinence by the age of 40. I'm not ready for abstinence just yet. I am aware that many posters here (with good reason) disagree with the moderation approach, but I truly don't expect or want to go back to my bottle of wine a night habit, and without wanting to tempt fate, I think I'm out of that phase of my life for good. My problem is I still like the taste of beer and 'a good beer buzz', as Sheryl Crowe's song put it. Funnily enough, I never really liked the taste of wine all that much so I don't miss it in the slightest! But also, for me, having a reasonable exercise regimen for the first time in years is a powerful motivator not to go back to drinking most nights.

In your post you mention lurking for a long time before joining. I lurked for a short period (around two months) before joining. I don't post much, however, as given that I still drink I don't want to negatively impact on others' abstinence.

Just one point I would make. If new posters are told an all or nothing approach is the only way forward this is not necessarily encouraging. Personally, I'm the kind of person that has to do things at my own pace. Perhaps this is partially why the lurkers prefer to lurk rather than join, because they're just not ready for abstinence yet.