Thread: Please
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Please

As I posted elsewhere, I haven't been doing well lately. To be blunt, I'm a wreck, LOL - emotionally, mentally, physically... my relationships are suffering too.

BUT:

Two years ago, I finally accepted that I had a very real problem: alcohol addiction... and, way past the end of my tether, I set out to find a solution.

While working on my current mess of a situation, it dawned on me today that the effort I've been investing in recovery has been paying off. Throughout my latest meltdown, getting plastered never crossed my mind.

Alcohol is not a solution or an option for me - this simple idea has made itself at home within my -very thick- skull, and is now a part of my reality. I've learned to accept my limitations.

(BTW, this is not intended to be a self-congratulatory " for Matt" thread.)

My intention is to encourage our newcomers as well as our regular members:

Please, do not give up, there are many options: SR, AA, SMART, Lifering, therapy, prayer, IOP, rehab, meditation, exorcism ;-) ... If one doesn't work out, keep trying, do whatever it takes.

What is working for me -and many others in this community- basically boils down to peer support: I couldn't do it alone.

If you're reading this as a guest and need help, sign up right now - don't be like me, I used SR.com as my browser homepage and lurked -usually drunk- for 3 years before finally deciding to become a member.

And.. this community probably saved my life.

It doesn't matter if you're a guest or a long time member, if you are struggling with addiction, PLEASE REACH OUT! You'll be doing yourself a favour -probably the biggest favour of your life- and you will also be helping us out. Never stop reaching out, you are not alone.

Just reach out.

Please?