Thread: Help!
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

I found that by getting a sponsor and starting to work the steps actually opened up a whole new group to me and i made a lot of good friends in a very short space of time, my sponsor had been around a good while and knew most people so before i knew it i wasnt interested in hanging round with my old friends anymore...remember to keep an open mind and that friends do actually come in all shapes, sizes and ages...i didnt realise that when i first went to AA i would be the first to say what would i have in common with a x year old, turns out quite a lot actually;-)

IMO age is on your side in many ways, i have a friend in AA who has been sober a year now and saw that most went out of their way to help him because they will want you to get it young because they would have wanted to have get it younger if they could have back then...

You might meet people that just go to AA and arent really serious about getting sober, people that are there because they have been court ordered but you will definitely meet people that have been sober for years, have really great and happy lives beyond what we can/could imagine and they have a solution for you too...you got a good resource here and some people that are in AA and sober, so keep posting and get to that meeting this week:-)