View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gypsy Feet
mergirl

When I first quit, I made physical activity and time outdoors in nature a big part of my recovery. I walked, lifted weights, rode my bike and swam, and found that being tired at night and falling right to sleep was a huge help. I also upped my work hours.

Later, I grew tired of having only friends who drank for entertainment. SR was my main form of support when I quit up until about the 10 month mark, but then I decided I wanted to meet some people who did other things with their time besides drink in my town. I started attended AA meetings, which I had been avoiding. I met some really great people there, and I get lots of really useful suggestions on living sober. The AA community here has camp outs, bbqs, bowling nights and cruises. They have dances at our alano club, and groups of people even go "bar hopping" on the weekends to catch the local live bands.

I don't do all of that stuff, only some. I spend a lot of time reading, researching and enhancing my recovery progress. I do a lot more art, make time for people who need me, and spend as much time outdoors as I can.

I have been sober 15 months, and my life is full and rich and I rarely find the time to be bored. Congratulations on your decision to get sober.