View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Luthin, I've got a sort of bias about smoking, since I want to quit and want that for other people. I don't think you should go back to something that you gave up years ago. When it comes to ways to alleviate the urges for the alcohol, then I have to wonder whether a doctor can be helpful for you. I have not used any medications, but everyone has different needs. If that is out of the question, then I would use something else (tea is one of the things I leaned on a lot, it was obvious to me that it was a way to divert attention away from alcohol for some reason...maybe because I think tea and cigarettes were the first things I should never have started drug-wise). It's also natural to want sweets and otherwise fill your face while quitting. You just have to watch out there too! The physical activity is probably the best thing, as well as finding whatever you need to keep your mind occupied by other things instead of alcohol. Some people get into physical improvement and working out. If you are mechanically inclined, you can find something you can take apart and put put back together. Do you have a garage you can tidy up or overhaul? Something outdoors need shaping up? That kind of thing. Whatever it is, we need to bond with an activity that produces an acceptable if not preferrable result.