View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
gmc

I bet most of us here know when our other has had a drink. We are soooo attuned to them! In my case, my husband can have one drink and I know it. Itty bitty subtle changes give him away. I do think every once in a while that he could and I wouldnt know it but I try to trust my gut instinct and honestly, I always called him out on it just because I wanted my gut instinct validated. I felt he had no right to make me doubt my instinct. So I asked and if he said no, I told him I didnt believe it and he was lying to me and I didnt appreciate him making me question myself and we could speak when he fessed up. Always, within 20 minutes he did fess up. In that case, I never fought, I thanked him for telling me the truth and not messing with my head then told him I wasnt happy about it, but it was important for me to know.

Eventually, much to his dismay, he learned everyone knew it if he was drinking. His personality change was obvious. The truth was out, bud!

The more important issue here is what you do with the information. Certainly, there are triggers that make your stomach curl and you can stop, think, analyze the situation, and honestly ask yourself if you think he drank or whether you were having a normal reaction to a trigger. For example, on a recent trip we met my husband at a hotel since we were coming from different cities. He got there first, and normally, he would drink if he got there first. When I arrived, my stomach curled, I got uptight for a little while, then told myself I cant control it if he did so what now? Let go and Let God, right? It calmed me down enough to recognize that arriving after him at a hotel on a trip made my stomach curl in anticipation of four days of drinking from him. A little while later, I told him I was being uptight cuz of my trigger and he just said, "I understand", and left it at that. At this point, he had been in Outpatient Rehab for two weeks and really, had he had even one drink, he would have reacted differently.

So after my essay, the biggest point i'd like to make is what will you do with the information if he has?

Good luck!