Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
awk123

brother in "recovery" and will not support family

Hi, I am new to this thread and I have never posted on a forum before, so please bare with me. I am the older sister of a "recovering" drug addict. I say "recovering" because I know he has taken drugs within the past 2 months. My brother used to be such a wonderful person. When he walked into a room, it was like Brad Pitt coming into contact with you. He had such a commanding presence, that you wanted to be around him, always. He is the baby, the only boy of 4 children, and is spoiled to death. Our problems have been on going since he was a teenager, but they really started in December of '08. Him and his new wife came in and my family were decorationg the Christmas tree. We looked at them and knew they were on something. His wife could barely stand up and he was so angry. My mother and father, which by the way, are two of the most loving parents you could ever wish for, were trying to calm him down and one of my sisters and I were trying to stop him from leaving because that's what family does, or at least my family, we were abnormally close as my friends would say. We stopped him from leaving and assumed he passed out in the back room. Did I mention he had and has no job and living with my parents at the time. I was talking to my fiancee on the phone, which is a trooper and I heard commotion in the front room. I walked in to see my brother on top of my father, who had just had knee surgery, in the chair and I immediately screamed and jumped on my daddy screaming for him to get away from him. The police were called and he was arrested for outstanding warrants. To make a long story short, our family has never been the same. My brother and sister n law were both addicts. My brother has a hit in run, DUI, warrants, arrests, shop lifting all on his record and my sister n law has 2 DUI's and shoplifting on her record. Did I mention she is twelve hours away from graduating with a degree in Math, so these are not dumb people. What makes this worse is my sister n law was pregnant at the time of her second DUI and totalled their one vehicle they had. They went into rehab, and my sister n law came out for the better, I think. My brother still has no job they are living up north with her mother. My family just couldn't take it anymore, financially and emotionally. Thank God my niece is a perfect, beautiful little girl with no complications from her drug use. They were in for Christmas, but my brother was arrested for shop lifting and ruined the entire week they were here. My sister n law's father died a few months back and she received a large amount of money. They have since spent almost $40,000 on a new vehicle that they didn't need. They don't even have a house to themselves. There is so much more I could say, but I feel I have written too much. I can't look my brother in the eye. When I speak to him I can't stand the words coming from his mouth because he has lied so much that I can't trust him. I know he was on Xanax at my grandfather's funeral and I just can't look at him. We were once so close and I want that back, but I feel it will never be the same. Is there anyone in this forum who has been through the same thing. He is ripping my mother and father apart. There was no abuse, no sad stories of our childhood. My family is upper middle class and gave all of us the world. There is no excuse for what he has done and I want him well but I can't get him well. I don't know if anyone can or even if he wants too. Please help. I feel if I say this to his face, he will never let me see my niece and that would kill me. Please, give me some advice. I am so sorry this is long, but I need some support. Thank you so much.