Thread: I do not know
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by twitcher View Post
I went to meetings daily the last time I tried to stop and I read the big book
Those things have never been sufficient for the alcoholic described in the BB. What is required to conquer alcoholism is a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. Those Steps require action for their successful completion to bring about the desired result.

Twitcher, you identified correctly that 'just don't drink today' is not the answer. If you are a real alcoholic, you lack the power to just don't drink today. It's unfortunate that you were given such misleading and false guidance by well meaning but ignorant people in the rooms of AA. The program of AA works just great, if you can find it. It's in that Big Book with a good sponsor. One that has had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps and knows the fallacy of 'just don't drink today'.

Originally Posted by ksplash5 View Post
I love the saying, for me, "take what works and leave the rest"
I, in general, dislike that saying. It's very easy for it to be perverted into 'listen to only what I like, and disregard what disturbs me.'

What disturbs me is someone suggesting that I need to follow directions, give up my self will, take a good long look at my selfishness, dishonesty, self-seeking, and fear, set right my past damage, continue to admit where I'm wrong, being of service, sacrifice to others, etc. You get the idea.

I don't want to hear those things. But they were the things required for me to recover.