Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
chicubs1

Unfortunately we're not the majority...

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Hi,

I work in a small company and drinking is considered as the thing to do, even by the bosses. Few glasses of wine during lunch, no problem. Coming in late for work still looking green, it happens! Calling in sick because you can't get up, ok but don't let it happen too often. Parties or events with the company, you just gotta have some...preferably lots! See what I mean?
Most of my co-workers start the week telling stories about how drunk/sick/hungover they got during the weekend...and how much "fun" they had. I think more than one has exactly the same problem I do, or is headed in that direction (just my opinion).

I've had my share and I know how they must feel very well (cranky-sleepy-finding it hard to focus- can't wait for the day to be over...), so I'm thinking I can use their stories, from now on, as fuel for my sobriety in some way, until hopefully one day they'll draw their own conclusions??

Does anyone have experiences to share on how to handle this? Would appreciate it!

Andi
While drinking in the office is uncommon (outside special occasions), the prevalence of people telling their weekend drunk stories, weekly - or more - happy hours, and the prevalence of alcohol at company events is not. Everywhere I have worked since college has had a drinking "culture" and in retrospect probably exacerbated my problem. In fact, I just had a job interview TODAY and part of our conversation drifted toward martinis and wine prices! I just politely said I don't drink anymore, but still enjoy going out and redirected the conversation about what I like to do for fun. They said they admired me for it! It's very hard when everyone around you drinks, but what I read here once before is true, we're in the minority. Some people will respect you, others won't. If the culture of the company is such that it they can't respect you, it probably is time to move on. Good luck.