View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stagebear
Now with fewer opiates!

Dave- The biggest mistake I made was not telling my primary doc that I was abusing pills.

I have dealt with chronic pain and surgery since being treated for addiction. I was not "flagged" or denied appropriate medication when needed. No competent medical professional wants to see you in pain.

The most important issue you face right now is dealing with what you know is an addiction. Get that right, then you, your doctor and your wife can work together to develop any plan you need to deal with your pain management.

I also want to correct one possible bit of misinformation- seizure is not generally a risk associated with withdrawal from opiates. Big risk with benzodiazepines and alcohol, but not traditionally associated with opiates.

However, the risk of liver damage with the high levels of acetaminophen you're ingesting is very real. Even though, at 10 pills a day, your are under the max recommended daily dose of 4,000mg, long term use at the doses you're taking can cause liver damage. Be aware. (This latter information is not to be interpreted as medical advice, but rather quotation of fact as noted on poison control sites as well as OTC drug resource sites).