View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Womble -

My thought is that you aren't quite ready. Alcoholism doesn't care if we are rich or poor, old or young; we all have the same problem.

AA isn't the only solution, and I am sorry that it doesn't seem to be working for you, but I would just ask that you work to find some other program of recovery that will work for you.

Since this is a progressive disease, we all know what will happen to a "successful" alcoholic over time. It just doesn't get better.

So, I hope you reach your point of desparation while you still have a lot of your successes. Just focus on yourself and not others. When I read your post, I see explanations for why things won't work, rather than being open minded to various possibilities that may work.

I don't mean to be hard on you, I just have worked with enough alcoholics now to know that what you are doing and feeling is totally normal. You just have to work through this period and then you can have the willingness and open-mindedness to try anything.

See who is successful on SR -- ask them what they did. And then, stop trying to control it yourself. This is not something that we can do alone.

Hang in there.