Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Have had a rough time, you might say. First, I had pneumonia, so I was laid up in bed for quite a while, on the plus side, I got better, and have managed to stop smoking, it's been about a month. And for about three weeks, no drinking, a big improvement. But then I went out one night, had a few drinks, and a few days later, it was warm and I was feeling nostalgic and there I was, getting drunk at home, watching footage of the poet Anne Sexton, laughing, and then I blacked out. I woke up two days ago to a very bad black eye, almost swollen shut, a sprained finger, skinned knees, scraped elbows and a lot of pain. I must have fell, I don't know. What makes me wonder is why, why, why I do this.

I know there's a lot of things in life I'm not happy about, I'm 42, own no house, no car, am in horrible debt, have bad credit to the point of lawsuits/wage garnishments, live in a rustic warehouse space with no oven or bath-tub, and find it harder and harder to relax. I miss cooking, I even miss baths. I thought at first I might be OK in such a place, but I’m to old…it just happened they didn’t check credit, and I needed a place. I see little hope for the near future in having any time or means to change things and get out of here…I mean, I can’t see how I’m ever gonna fix this credit till 7 years or whatever it is, and that makes me desperately sad. It would be so nice just to have a normal place again, a couch to lie down on, and especially a bath-tub…I can take showers, but there’s only about 5 minutes of hot water, so I often skip them, what’s the point, I don’t sweat much, I’m small, and not hairy.

But I have to stop all this before there's nothing left...I have to find some way to have hope.

I don't know how I ****** up this badly in life, I was always smart and creative and had nearly a 4.0 in highs-school and college but could never seem to find my niche, always worked jobs that were just jobs, now I feel too old to change, and too tired. Sometimes, I think I do these things because I want o die. Normally, I would be to scared, and when sober would certainly never choose to die...yet drunk, I worry, the day will come I jump out the window or something, I mean, I don't even know what I do those times, anything might happen.

Well, I’m sorry for all this, I wish I could say I was better, but this seems like a low point. I just wish I could believe in anything anymore, and have hope. But it just slips away.
Husky, seems like I haven't seen you on in a while. Good job on not smoking. Now all that's left is to finish pulling it together buddy. You went three weeks without drinking, you can get another 3 weeks. But for now just don't drink today.

I read a little of myself in your post. Good grades in school but maybe selling yourself short when it comes to finding work. Feeling like you f**ked up your life. Feeling overwhelmed with your finances (especially looking 7-10 years into the future. Yikes. I look only as far as my next paycheck or two. I have 7 years to worry about the next 7 years). Feeling stuck. I have no advice, but I can commiserate; you aren't alone and you're NORMAL. I'm about 10 months along and I still haven't found an equilibrium. It does get better though, things seem less extreme the longer I stay clean. Hell, I don't have all the answers (if I did I wouldn't be buried under my own mountain of crap). But I seemed to have the most trouble 3-5 weeks out. That's when I'd be at my lowest and many times went back to using because it was so much easier. If you fight through those toughest couple weeks it gets better on the other side. You can start cleaning it up after you get through that. I really felt quite hopeless for about 6 weeks and every time I'd quit it would happen again. It sucks, no two ways about it.

Lala Song Player - Other Side by Cross Canadian Ragweed
I love this song. Makes sense in regards to how I feel about drugs and the people I was around and all that. Actually there's a progression through several of their CDs that makes me think the singer, who writes most of the songs for the band, may have had a drug problem... or maybe I'm reading far too much of my own life into the songs. (That's the only one I could find. You get one free listen and after that you can hear a 30-second clip)