View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

I went out with a drink a couple of weeks ago with a guy that is over here and was introduced to me, the convo came up and he asked about drinking, said yeah but did you ever drink? I said yes...he paused and said well no-one that has drunk before stops drinking without a good reason do they? I said go on and he tried to bale out and said sorry so i said i dont mind you are on to something there, carry on...anyways he kind of guessed and i said yup im an alcoholic thats why i dont drink anymore and had a great night...heard from him since and he doesn't think im a 2 headed monster!

I would feel quite comfortable sharing this with anyone now, not on first meeting them like in the introduction but defo at an appropriate moment...i would have been too afraid to say it before because in hindsight i really was never sure if i was willing to quit for good before AA...but i understand there are occasions when it may not be appropriate and may even be that the job doesnt allow for disclosure...

Just thought i'd share cos it was a nice experience to say that...and he really wasn't that interested, we were talking about his family about 5 mins later...i think most people would have respect for you rather than the fear that we might be ridiculed or thought less of...obviously you can't disclose this then expect people to think well of you if you drink again:-)

Just my experience!