View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FindingPeace1

Little fish - nothing.
I haven't seen him drunk in years.

When I try to discuss a variety of sensitive topics (alcohol included), he gets grumpy/angry/depressed/defensive/negative, but it doesn't seem alcohol related (that I know of).

Even when he said he would quit (I left a few times during that time), there was less in our home liquor cabinet, so I know he was drinking then.
One time, he added liquor to his hot chocolate and I asked him why he did that when he said he had quit, he pitched a fit, stomped out of the bedroom, threw the cup in the sink, cursed me under his breath in the living room and gave me the silent treatment for the rest of the night.
So, it's not inconsequential, but I can't say what is really happening.

His behavior was great (although he tends toward depression) until I confronted him about alcohol. He then was miserable to be around for months. The more I tried to discuss anything the more grumpy, negative, fatalistic, etc. he got. It was directly related to me pushing him to talk about it.
I finally gave up trying to talk about it and he's back to being pretty fun to be around.

Do I not belong here?
I can't say.
I've learned a lot.
I've learned about codependency (mine, and his, actually) and how I have been wanting things I can't have from him.
I've pulled the blinders off about some serious issues of communication we have and my serious concerns about his ability to handle stress with maturity or openness or self control.

It's weird. At this point, all that overshadows my concerns about alcohol.