View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
WilsonSmith

In a strange kind of way, I worry if I stop drinking I will inevitable fail one day and be even worse. That worries me.

Originally Posted by EndlessNight View Post
When I started looking at this site a year ago and realised that most people on this site (if not all) have been unsuccessful at cutting back their drinking, I was shocked. It will take you a while to imagine a life without drinking in it. When I realised giving up mean't no more beers at the football, no more wine tasting in the wine regions, no more going to parties and staying there half the night, I started to grieve. All I wanted was to take my life back to that period in time twenty years ago when I rarely drank, when I used to drive to parties and bars and have one drink because I was driving home. I have tried this last year to get back there. I can't. I went off alcohol for five weeks Feb/Mar and upon resuming, my drinking seems to have become more "urgent". I can't imagine where I might be in 5 years if I don't take this decision to stop completely.

By the way, during that five weeks off the booze, I actually enjoyed going out to dinner and completely remembering the dinner conversation, remembering that I paid my share of the bill, remembering that I said goodbye to friends at the front of the restaurant, remembering the taxi driver.