Thread: My New Journey
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for joining us! AA has been terrific for me these last 11 days. I went to AA 4 years ago, but I couldn't grasp the first step: "We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol, and that our lives had become unmanageable." I didn't think I was powerless; I had power over anything I wanted. My life certainly wasn't unmanageable; I worked, went to school and had an awesome girlfriend.

Fast forward 4 years. Back in school (missed about 4 years), got fired from a good job, and my fiancee (same awesome woman) was on the verge of leaving me. Actually, she did break up with me and tell me to move out. It's because of AA, the people here and the changes she's seen in me the last 11 days that we are together again, but the ice is very thin.

I now know I'm powerless. That's not even in debate, if any objective outsider were to view my behavior and lack of control over how much I drank. Unmanageable? Yep, pretty much. That realization hit me like a ton of bricks; once that happened, AA was the only logical place for me to go. And it's been great.