Thread: Now What?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Houndheart

Charlotte, a learning experience indeed. Sorry that it went this way. I had a primary care physician that said stuff like this to me. I also had a therapist, an addiction therapist for teens at a rehab when not doing his own individual counselling, that told me that I obviously was not an alcoholic because I was the only person in his many years of counselling that ever told him up front that they abused alcohol but knew that it really only exacerbated my problems. He said that since I knew this, I therefore was not alcoholic. "Hmmmm", I thought..... I knew I was an alcoholic, but I guess if my counsellor thought I was ok....well, then.....I guess it's ok to keep drinking. At least that was where I was at then...a couple of years ago.

Finally I stopped seeing him. Because the alcoholic thinking brain was letting me keep drinking. But the other part...the one that knew better finally had enough and saught other help. I was done. One day I was just done. And I decided to follow my inner compass and saught a different addiction counsellor and found this place too. And both have helped a LOT.... And I hear about AA philosophies on here and it is making more sense as far as total recovery and not just sobriety...the working a program of some sort to get to a true recovery. I am glad to hear that you are looking to find someone who will truly help you in your efforts. This can be done. Starting right now to stop drinking again is a good place to begin. I wish you well Charlotte.