Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FrankBarone

I've been trying to control my drinking for a few years with different degrees of success/failure at different times. Working in the bar trade wasn't the most conducive of places to do that. The work hard, play harder attitude that prevails in that industry in my part of the world is legendary and there was never a shortage of after hours parties or lock-ins. Any time of the day or night you're likely to find a buddy because you get to know all the others who are big time drinkers as well.

What I've learned for definite in the last few months is that, even by going out with the best intentions to control my intake, if left to my own devices, the moment that first drink crosses my lips means it's a racing certainty that I will be out for three, four or five days or longer until my body and mind says enough is enough.

The only way, for me, to control intake, and I'm learning the hard way, is to avoid the first drink altogether.

I hope you find a way but the fact that your having to ask the question would suggest to me that it'll be hard in the long run.