Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

TrySober, I'm about 2 hours into my 10th day. I'm having a blast. Oh yeah, I was the beer guy. I work in a restaurant, and whenever they would talk about putting a new beer on tap, I was the guy they came to. Heck, before I went back to school this semester, I was the bar manager. I put whatever beer I wanted on tap. And that meant I got free samples of lots of beer (and liquor, too. I did like the shots when I was out). And I always had beer wherever I was. Tailgating for a football/baseball game, drinking in the stadium, drinking at home, drinking in the car, drinking at my friends' houses, drinking at bars, just drinking lots of beer. All. The. Time.

But I'm seeing a better way now. I echo what Dee said: I don't feel like a new person. I feel like me again, like that 18-year-old kid before the 12-pack-a-day habit set in. I enjoy my day now, rather than dreading it. I smile and laugh, rather than puke and moan. And I feel feelings again. Good and bad.

My sponsor says I'm a rare case. I guess lots of people go into AA with hesitation and are not very receptive to what is being said in the rooms. I know that was the case for me 4 years ago. But this time, I knew it was the end for me. I went in there guns blazing, attended 8 meetings the first 2 days (now at 23 in 9), bought the books, went to work, got a sponsor, joined this site, and pretty much spend all my free time away from work, school and meetings (not much free time) on here talking to people like me, reading the literature and studying this deadly disease of alcoholism, with which I am definitely afflicted. I experienced something over a week ago that flipped the switch, for lack of a better term. And I can't express how thankful I am that happened.

I think if you want to get sober for the right reasons, and if you truly are committed to it, you will find that the fun you can have without beer (or whatever your fancy) is leaps and bounds above the fun you can have getting drunk. And you actually remember it all, don't feel like crap the next day, have more money in your pocket and more energy in your body! Like I said, I'm digging it.