View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Bucyn

Originally Posted by NYC_Chick View Post
This happened to my sister 8 years after her divorce with a credit card her x husband took out, unknown to her, when they were married.
Did she talk to a lawyer? I thought debt expires after 7 years, it's uncollectible, so companies sell it to maverick bill collectors for pennies on the dollars and they try to bully people out of payment.

Very weird.

He's not letting you know because he's hiding something big. "Trust me" says the alkie. "I'll never drink again. I'll never lie again. I'll never stick you with any debt."

Alcoholics always lie. They are not trustworthy. And alkies get very vindictive in divorce. Even if he can pay, he may try to stick you with a portion of the bills just because he's mad at you.

I'd find out what's going on . Annualcreditreport.com is the government sponsored one, I think. I'd pull both yours and his. Particularly if you own a house or car together. Do you want to come home one day and find a notice of default on your house or have your car repoed?

You have the right to know.

The problem is, once you find out he's $40,000 in debt, what are you going to do about it?

Debt acquired only in his name prior to the marriage is probably going to be just his. Debt acquired only in his name can go either way, it depends on the state and the judge. Debt acquired in both your names is both yours. Fortunately, joint or marital debt is usually apportioned according to income, so if he makes twice as much as you, you end up with a third of it.

However--alkies have a habit of losing jobs, and codies often end up trying to make ends meet on underpaid jobs; it can work both ways: you make $10 an hour and he's unemployable, so you get stuck with all the bills.

You need to find out, you have to know if you are going to be going down with the sinking ship.