Thread: Most people?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

The only thing that does strike me and can be a little off-putting is the way that posts from people who are struggling/not feeling great and in sobriety are somehow scorned by certain people on here. It makes me feel uncomfortable in a similar way to how certain things/members at AA make me feel uncomfortable. Holier than though if you like.

The way it is not a two-way street almost. The people who seemingly never suffer and everything is happy, joyous and free never post about what they are feeling or anything happening in their journey whatsoever but instead offer little but to make you feel belittled for sharing where you're at.

I know for a fact that AA members with 20+ years who have worked all the steps and speak to Jesus Christ over a cup of cocoa beofre bed still have days where they struggle, as they have shared that with me ,and even though their desire to drink has been removed and all that jazz then at fleeting times on xmas/parties or whatever their mind wonders for a brief time.

I guess it's just the way it is. But it seems a little uncomfortable like AA. But what I shall not do is what many probably do as a result of this and go back drinking again. I shall post my struggles and my great times too. Just because I am struggling at the minute is not indicative of what I have achieved in my sobriety. For the majority of the last 4 motnhs I have felt fantastic and things have been going great. It can;t all run smoothly all the time... Maybe that's why most young people run from AA and back to the bottle untill they get to their 40's or later.

This is not referring to this post per se but in general. I just feel a little uncomfortable about posting when I'm struggling when that's the exact time that you should feel most comfortable as that's the time that matters.

What I am psting about has nothing to do per se with a desire or thoughts about alcohol but is merely an expression of my psyche/mind. Much more psychological than the simply saying a desire to drink booze. For the last 4 months I haven't felt like this. I just express when I do whereas others don't. But I don't believe that they don't feel 'off' at times. That is what does my head in at times. At 24 it ain't about the booze but the fact that where you want to be hanging out and where all your peers at least go to all serve booze. Maybe some people on here just ain;t got a clue about the scene in the UK and drinking cultutre and how engrained it is in the UK. Even with the desire to drink booze removed it doesn't change that.

Who is anyone to judge whose sobriety is 'better'? That is ego at it's most hightened I would say.