View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

My friend, I have been readng this thread but didn't know what to say that might help (didn't want to give a "token" response ) I'm old enough to be your mum, and only got sober myself 2 yrs. ago. Therefore, I respect & admire your courage in facing your addiction at 24. I was so blind. I kept trying to control it so I could continue partying and numbing myself. My inability to see where I was headed created chaos in my life & could have led to tragedy. You are no longer living that way. Please be proud of yourself for that.

As for the boredom and feelings of futility - I had them on and off for the first year. Although I was relieved to not have hangovers and chaos in my life, I would also think, "Is that all there is?". For what it's worth, those feelings have now quieted down. Most days I'm thankful to be clear headed and feeling life, not being numb. In the end, I never knew where drinking was going to take me. I ended up in some very dangerous situations & couldn't risk it anymore. I know you don't want to go back to living that way.

The first year I was sober, every time a holiday came along I'd feel resentment. That has all faded now. In the early days, I was resigned to the fact that I couldn't pick up again. Yet as others have said, it isn't resignation we're looking for - but joy and happiness. It came back for me - one day it was just there. (Easy for me to say, as an older person, I know.) I acknowledge how you feel and respect it. I just want you to know you're still at the beginning of this journey, and you won't stay in this phase forever.