View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Stu

you're not alone - I recall two similar threads on this recently in this very forum.

I guess I'm lucky - I've either sated my fill for excitement, or (as I suspect) I was never really one for excitement - it was just where the drink led me. I'm happy to lead a quiet life now.

But if you want excitement I can't see any reason why you can't go out and look for it. There must be a million exciting and self-affirming things to do that don't involve drinking or drugging.

I'll add a caveat to my 'go look' advice tho - I don't mean to sound disparaging at all, but at 60 days I didn't know who I was at all - and, in fact, I see now who I was then was someone quite different to who I've ultimately become.

I was quite unsettled around this period. I realise now that PAWs may have been a factor, but I also feel I was looking for quick ways to heal and fill the 'void' I was feeling and for the quickest path to feeling normal. I too missed my escape. I'd escaped for the best part of 20 years.

I'm glad I resisted that impulse because I believe now that the slow pace of healing, and the patience involved in that, were actually fundamental parts to my recovery. Not escaping anymore was beneficial too - I grew up quickly by facing things and solving problems and dealing with stress in new positive non addictive ways. I learnt that immediate gratification was not always the best way to go.

That was my lesson. It may be inappropriate for you, I don't know.

Keep look for excitement by all means if you really think you're missing something - but be sure first that this isn't just an impatience issue, or some kind of compensation for the 'rush' you got as an alcoholic.

D