View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LifeIs

Smile Hi from another newbie

I probably have the same story as many of you. Me, I only wanted to cut down, so thought maybe weekend drink would be okay. Didn't drink all last week then did a whopper from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. Was so disgusted with myself, haven't again had a drink since Sunday early evening.

Now I am beginning to think (or do I actually already know this & who am I trying to fool) that I shouldn't be drinking "just" on weekends either?

I thought I was coming down with the flu when I stopped. I don't think I have been a day without a drink in perhaps 10-12 years - self medicating very heavily for the last 7, before that 35 years perhaps, I "only" drank regularly... I still have that awful headachy feeling, insomnia bad, sleeping max 5 hours at a stretch, thankful the entire body itchy seems to be gone, although the aches and pains still bothersome, take an aspirin every night when I go to bed.

I quite smoking mid January this year (pack & 1/2 - 2 packs a day for the last 20 years) and that is going just fine, so I guess I can do just about anything, right!

When I visit my brother in the US, I used to go to his AA meetings with him, just to keep him "company". My brothers (2 sober thanks to AA and 1 still in denial) have no idea of my problem . They always say that I am so lucky that the women in the family didn't get the "curse". Makes it hard, always being so perfect, I am very well behaved when around them. I will next week be visiting again, this time for 2 months, staying with one of my sober brothers. I think I need to come clean with him?

Just wish me luck. Will continue reading all the posts which have given me inspiration these past days to NOT drink. I need to do this or I know it will kill me.

Thanks to all of you for being there and your support.

P.s. will try to get a picture, update profile... not real good at these things!