View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovery1983

Hey Neomarxist, at 27 I'm not too much older than you. Even though I dont know you, I'm proud of you making it to 9 months. I cant speak for the older people here but for me, getting sober in the your 20's is extremely difficult because our generation correlates fun with drinking. I'm sure people talk about "sober fun" and what not but to be honest, "sober fun" just doesnt excite me. When I FIRST started drinking, I loved the effects of alcohol. It was like growing 6 inches on my dong. Sorry if that grossed people out. However, things started to get out of control. What started out as fun began to turn into negative consequences. I'm sure many people can relate to this.

Fast forward to 14 months ago, my family insisted that I go to rehab and I did. I learned the what nots and the "tools" to put into my toolbox. Before going in, I had already went in and out of AA so it was nothing new to me. When I left rehab, I started trying to do that 90 in 90 stuff and I think I probably made 10 meetings in 10 days. You are probably expecting to hear that I went out and drank on the 11th or the 12th day. Nope, I didnt. I actually stayed sober for 10 months. During those 10 months, it was exactly what you mentioned in your post. Things were mundane and BORING. I ended up just hanging out with myself and trying to occupy my free time with individual things. With whatever friends I had, I tried to hangout with them but it just didnt feel the same. So during these 10 months, I didnt go to AA, I didnt get a sponsor but I didnt drink. I felt like I was being punished for the rest of my life. When I was in rehab, my roommate, who was a surgeon, told me to be careful and not turn into a "dry drunk". I was like yeah yeah yeah.... I wont. "I dont ever want to be in this crap again."

When I relapsed on New Years, I started where I left off 10 months ago. It only took 2 full months before I gave up and got tired. This time, I knew I had a problem but my thinking was that I'll just keep going until I decide to really quit and start from there since I already relapsed. Well things came to a halt pretty fast. I'm fortunate that nothing legally happened. I burned a few friendships but ultimately, I was just drowning in my own prison.

I look back at my 10 month sobriety and I know what I did wrong. The whole time, I had been doing it my way. I didnt even do it partially their way. I completely did it my way so I was doomed from the beginning. I really related to your post when I first read it but I wasnt sure if I was going to respond since I only have 30 days. I ended up going to the gym and thought about it and now I'm responding. In my opinion, I think you are in a danger zone right now. When I was in the "boredom" phase of my 10 month sobriety, my alcoholic mind started to rationalize LITTLE by LITTLE. It wasnt a split decision that I should go out drinking instead, it just crept little by little until the day that I relapsed. That is how cunning and baffling this disease is.

To be honest, I dont really have a set answer or advice for you. I'm just sharing with you with what happened to me. If you are in AA and have a sponsor then I would suggest that you be honest and share exactly what you shared in this post with them. If i'm interpreting this incorrectly, I do apologize for saying that you are in the danger zone and commenting like this.