View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Neo, when I think about this, I feel junior to you about addiction/recovery issues and like a fogey when it comes to the "I want to have fun" issues. Seems like I can't win.

I noticed you mention something about canned rhetoric the other day, not sure where, and I hoped I wasn't being fake in anything I said to somebody. Sometimes I think I am getting in over my head, but I like to give it a try and reply to somebody anyway. I edit and press cancel a lot too.

I could easily paste back at you your posts where you talked about why "It Will Be Worth It" as the final line. Not necessarily my style either to build cases and provide links in this situation. That was one of the posts that I went back to a few times a couple of weeks ago, by the way. I think some brat came in and made fun of the part about sitting in a church for the meetings, and I wished I could have zapped him off the site, but I just let it go (he got zapped anyway).

I am one of the last people on earth to figure out how to solve the boredom question, ha ha, no matter which demographic you fit into. I know it doesn't do any good to say that you should cherish the boredom. I guess from a logical perpective, what you need to do is what has already been suggested, and that is getting more non-user people in your age group in your midst. Maybe you can come up with some ideas through serendipity, where you least expected to find them. I know I didn't expect to like seeing the word "neomarxist," ha ha. I won't be that much use to you on the spiritual development side of things either, but I wonder if there is more to be learned about why there is no magical sparkle for the things you like(d) without alcohol. It can't be just because your peers/contemporaries get to partake in alcohol without hurting/destroying themselves, can it?

I don't know what kind of magic sparkle to put into my picture either, but I am happy with the thought that I'm not giving alcohol power and that I have better choices to make. I just need to work on what I can choose, to work on my own boredom issues.

Do you participate in writing lyrics? Or are you more about prose and journal-ish stuff? Would you share it with a group of some kind (non-users, one would hope). I know you want to be true to yourself, but that process does not mean you can never find out more that just has not been cultivated. (I am proof of that in some ways; there are two separate blocks of people that know me, those who would have no idea I would be outgoing, those who would not believe I am anything but a "people person." I cultivated that in my work experience, and now I am both an inward person AND a gregarious person - I don't just write to people anonymously online, though I am in a recharger phase now.) And I can get the "edge" feeling without alcohol, my ex-fake-friend.

Does it do you any good to think out what else would energize you?