View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
jackfrost

thanks Bee

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for: "A contented life in recovery" as opposed to "just not drinking".
thanks for that pearl of wisdom

Also I like what you had to say about focusing on the here and now and not worry about the upcoming big ski trip, the next vacation, the next company party etc.
One day at a time, right?

jack

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
to you all!

All of us here have had our Day 1's and know exactly how you feel in making such an important life-changing decision. The thought of 'never drinking again' is scary - that's why it's best to just focus on right now, today, not next week, next month, on vacation, at weekend bbq's, etc. - just today.

All of these today's strung together make for long term results - looking too far ahead in the future is self-defeating I think - like any goal, set it realistically and ask for help. It's great you're all here. Awesome support.

AA is some people's program of choice - there are others - check out info on other forums here on SR for addt'l methods. I had a LADAC in early recovery and he saved my life. It was one hour, one night per week for the first year (length of time was my choice). He was also living in recovery for quite some time so had firsthand knowledge along with professional training. The things I learned from him helped build a strong foundation for my contented life in recovery as opposed to just not drinking and there are big differences between the two.

Again, welcome. Look forward to traveling along your journey with you!