View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jackfrost

You can make it!

Greeneyedlady,

This is my first attempt at a reply so I hope I don't mess it up. Anyway, I don't have a lot of advice about exactly how to proceed at this point as after all I am only on Day 1 too. I hope to find some ideas from this forum (and wow, after just a couple of hours I already have).

I just wanted to say to you that I find I also find it comforting that someone else is out there starting on this new sobriety journey on the same day as me. Also, my dad was an alcoholic too (he quit 30 years ago).
I will be rooting for you.

Not to discourage you at all but, I think back to when I was 27 and I was in the same predicament you are in. I would be out EVERY Friday and Saturday with a group of friends and drinking was always involved. Now I am much more "domesticated" so drinking isn't as prevalent in my life if I choose for it not to be.

That's a tough situation you are in but, I think you have a couple things going for you:
1) Your boyfriend. Sounds like a decent guy and you mentioned he has been embarrassed by some of your behavior (as has my wife with mine) so I would think he would be supportive of you, especially in those large group drinking situations. And maybe for the first couple weeks of sobriety could beg off from going out and being tossed into the lion's den as it were (just say you have a cold, we're going away for the weekend or whatever).
2) You mentioned you have a history of binge drinking in those situations so I would think that several of the people in the group probably recognize you have a struggle with alcohol and if you said you are "taking a sabbatical" from drinking (even if you really intend to quit for good) I think they would be understanding and supportive. If they are not then just how good of a friends are they??

Stay strong, good luck and keep us posted.

Jack

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady View Post
Jack -

I am on day one as well, and while I'm only 27, I have some of the same characteristics you mentioned in your story above. I'm a former college party girl and now I have a very nice, well-paid job. I generally keep my drinking to the weekends, but when I start, I can't stop. I get to the point where I black out, say and do things that are not good for me or my relationships. I have a wonderful boyfriend and I've made things very difficult between us with my binge drinking. One problem is that our friends all like to go out to bars, but none of them have a problem like I do.

My father was an alcoholic and I don't want to end up like him. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's responses because I have many of the same questions.

It is comforting to know that I am not the only one starting at day one.