View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR rk396, it would probably be a good idea to use a 2 edged sword to handle this, a long term program of recovery along with a therapist.

I am an alcoholic who before I started drinking always had a bad case of the "Less thens", I never felt good enough for much of anything until I had my first beer at about 11 years old........ instant good enough!!!! Being an alcoholic I wanted more of that "good enough" feeling.

What I learned as the uears went by was that it took more & more booze to get that "good enough" feeling & it seemed as though I would be depressed unless I had enough booze in me.

In the end I went to a Dr. who put me into detox for my alcoholism, detox sent me to AA. In AA I started off really miserable but I saw that they had a long term solution for life that was so good that the need to drink was lifted along with my "situational" depression.

Therapist & psychatrist are a good idea for many alcoholics, especially when thier depression is not just "situational", but also "Clinical" which can be treated with anti-depressants. I was among the lucky ones who the 12 steps alone took care of my depression as well as my life. I know a lot of folks in AA that even when clinically depressed had with thier Dr.'s guidance reduced thier dosage of ADs thanks to the 12 steps.

The steps are not a solution for clinical depression, but they sure have taken care of my situational depression in thier entirety, my huge mood swings of the past when I was drinking have been gone for several years now.

Keep in mind that alcohol is actually a depressant, see a Dr. & let them know about the depression & the alcohol, see what they reccommend as a course of action.