View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
murrill

Elblanco,
Congratulations on making a decision to change your life. I am an alcoholic, sober a number of years, and I have struggled with clinical depression. I can speak with some experience that alcohol & medication does not mix. I used to think that I would be a "normal" drinker if I could just get rid of the depression. Of course, what I did not see at the time was that I would never get out of the depression until I quit drinking.
By the end I was out of friends---drinkers & other wise. I entered treatment, and I decided to remain in the community where I went to treatment. I had been advised to change my playground & my playmates, so relocating made it easier. I became very active in AA, so by then all my friends were sober people. I'm not sure I could have done it otherwise. I am reasonably certain that I could not have done it alone, either, and fortunately I didn't have to. There are other 12-step programs--NA, for example--but they are not the only support groups. You might find others, but the 12 step programs are pretty widespread. Since you have a bipolar disorder (and I hope you are under the care of a physician), perhaps you could ask for a referral or go to an outpatient group. This is a good place to hang out, too.