Thread: Not Happy today
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Omega10

Originally Posted by Dinkee View Post
for me today is a Saturday, the football is on tonight i love the football and i love to drink when i watch the football....
How did it go last night?

I had similar thoughts with watching hockey - did not know how I could watch a game without a drink in my hand. I remember how liberated I felt at the end of the first sober game I watched. Part of getting over the association of drinking and watching sports is "mind over matter". Drinking while watching a sporting event is not a requirement, it's a habit or a mental association that has been developed over time.

As you work through your recovery, you should be able to break these mental associations. In the end it is worth the effort to "retool" yourself to think a different way.

It will get easier over time, but you have to work at it. You can't just stop the drinking, you have to dig deeper into yourself to answer the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" of drinking. By getting to the real root cause of your drinking, you can develop the necessary plans to stop and will have a higher chance of success. One day you will wake up and realize that you no longer need to have a drink to enjoy certain things, enjoyment will just happen naturally on its own.

Stay strong! With a few days under your belt already, you've already progressed - keep building on that.