Thread: On the Fence
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Horselover

Welcome to SR Jerry. I guess you are asking if you have a drinking problem or not. Only you can know the answer to that one. I will tell you how I knew I had a problem though. I KNEW when I had one drink there was more to follow. I always would make sure there was enough in the house for when I wanted to have some. Its not whether you drink in the morning or if you drink every day or if you drive and drink. My standard is if its a struggle to stop drinking after you have 1 beverage then you probably have a problem.

I can go back to my teens when I first started to drink and I remember that I would not think of stopping at one drink. I can go back to my 20s and I remember that I would not think of stopping at one. I can go back to my 30s and the same thing. I eventually drank every day, but I didn't start until 4 or 5 pm every day. I also would have classified myself as the "functional" drinker. I never lost time at work and in fact I found a job that had employed young people that liked to party every day.

Alcoholism is progressive. I am 43, soon to be 44 and I don't want to progress anymore. I have been sober 2 years this May God willing and because I found this internet site. These people, new and old, have helped me stay sober. I FINALLY wanted to be sober more then I wanted to drink. Drinking was old hat and I've had enough for a small village.

Keep reading and see if you can identify. Look for the similarities. My mistake in my 20s was my preconceived ideas of what an alcoholic is and so when I was in AA I was doing everything to see the differences and not the similarities. I, unfortunately, drank many more years because of that mistake.