View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sheeesh

Alcoholic father & visitation

Hi, I'm new here and could really use some advice. My ex-, alcoholic, husband and I have been divorced for almost 2 years and living seperately for about 3 years. We have a 7-year-old daughter. I have sole custody and he gets supervised visitation. He has just enered rehab for the 3rd time during this 3-year time period. Supervised visits have been at my house. And he doesn't always show up or call at our agreed upon times. But I'm done. I do not trust his parents, I suspect they are "funtioning" alcoholics themselves and know they are enablers of his behavior. I want to cut him off completely. In my opinion he's made his decision time and time again, and it's been drinking - not his daughter. I don't think it's fair for him to keep popping in and out of her life like this. I WANT to cut him off...but is this the RIGHT thing to do for my daughter?? I'm trying to do whats best for my daughter. For the longest time I thought whatever relationship she can have with him would be best. But I'm beginning to think that's disfunctional and not what's best for her. Is it better for her to have her dad coming in and out of her life, with no stability or dependability? Or to not see him at all (in hopes that one day he will be sober and they can have a relationship at that time - but based on his current record who knows when or if that will ever happen)?? I no longer want the supervised visits to be at my house (I don't feel comfortable having him coming over drunk). But I don't want them to be at his parents where I feel she may be unsafe. And I don't feel it's fair of me to ask my family to sacrifice their time to supervise visits when he continues to drink and dissapoint. I want to do the RIGHT thing. Help!?! And, thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.