View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I agree, even after 5 years sober it's a little hectic when I pick up my kids and we arrive home. Get dinner started, feed the dog, grab the mail, put things away, start the laundry.

But there's a peaceful rhythm to it sometimes, the sound of the kids laughing and talking about school, teasing each other, then we sit down and eat together. Sometimes I'm amazed at what a gift this sober life is, how I'm blessed with the love of my wife and children, and how much we love each other. Could life really be any better if I added alcohol back into the equation?

I think not.
Great post, Astro

Charlotte, the time when my son got in from school was my usual time for drinking. I didn't think I could cope with his noise and mood (he's tired, hungry and grumpy after school) without a couple of bottles of wine.

Now I am sober my 7 year old and I have "time together" in the evening. It's usually for about 2 hours and he gets to choose what we do together. I can't say I always enjoy the activity after I have watched all the Star Wars DVDs a hundred times but what I have learned recently is how important it is to my son that we spend this time together.

Many times in the morning it will be the first thing he talks about when he wakes up. I don't talk to him about the bad days but I know now that he really did feel it because I neglected him. All I can do today is make it up to him.......and enjoy being present in the moment with him.

In AA I hear many people regretting drinking throught their kids' childhoods. Those precious moments can never be brought back.

Try changing your routine and making fun time with the kids.......in time you will start to look forward to it.