Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by help04 View Post
sorry to hear about your friend. I'm current trying AGAIN to quit drinking and like you said it is very powerful and I hate it. I'm struggling with a higher power and opening up to help but I hear AA works and I'm going on Wed but I struggle everyday and all day long and I feel hopeless to fight it at times. If you can help me with words of kindness or advice I would greatly appreciate it!

It is a fact that you can quit drinking. You have the desire, so build upon that with some willingness and keep an open mind. Don't worry about the higher power thing. Just go to meetings. The higher power stuff is step 2 anyway, and it can be whatever you want. I know plenty of atheists and agnostics that are in 12 step programs and it works for them. The most important thing is that it works, how or what you beleive is irrelevent and entirely up to you.

Once i was able to put a few 24 hours together without any drugs or alcohol things began to get better pretty quickly. I went to meetings every day, got a sponsor and a home group and started doing service work and step work. I started exercising, praying, and meditating daily. I did what was suggested and it's worked thus far! It's pretty simple really.

I wish you all the best. You can do this thing my friend. One day, one hour, one breath at a time.