View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I never believed I was an alcoholic, but I do understand that you don't have to drink daily to be one. Normal people don't drink like this:

Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
when I do drink I DRINK. I drink a lot. I black out. I do stupid things. I do things that are WAY out of character. I basically become a different person.
and they don't have a problem with stopping. For me, an alcoholic, it's the mental obsession that compels me to drink again and again and again.

Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
How do you remain sober day in and day out? What do you do when you get a really overwhelming urge?
That's where the saying "one day at a time" comes from. I go to bed without taking a drink, I wake up sober, I take the challenge again. I've managed to do that for 5 years now so I'll continue since it works. Urges and cravings pass quickly, I've got AA meetings and a program of spirituality that give me the tools to deal with every situation life throws at me.

Nothing compares to being clean and sober. Now that I've learned to live this way, I know that taking a drink will improve nothing.