Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

"This empty chair in the middle of the circle...

is in memory of Eric. He won't be coming back. Ever."

Folks, i walked into my normal noon meeting today to learn that this cunning and baffling disease has taken another life. My friend overdosed over the weekend. I first met Eric in my 1st NA meeting in this town about a year ago. He'd been clean for over 18 months. He was a kind and generous person and made me feel welcome there and at all the meeting i attended in my first few months. He had a home group, a sponsor, and appeared to be living the program.

I relapsed last september and by grace, and i do mean grace, i made it back in one piece on 12/28/09. Eric wasn't so fortunate. I saw him in a meeting just last thursday and that ended up being his last full day on earth. So sad.

Guys, this is serious business. As dam serious as serious can be. This disease we suffer from wants us dead. Nevermind the unmanageability, the deriliction, the low self esteem, unemployability, paranoia, financial and relationship problems. Those are all bad and it's certainly noble to be striving to change such problems. But do not forget that addiction left untreated will kill us. Period.

Whatever you're doing for your recovery today, give thanks for the fact that you have been granted this precious gift. Be dilligent. Give yourself fully to whatever recovery path/program you have chosen. If you have yet to commit yourself to recovery and are reading this because you feel that you need recovery, please don't delay. All we have is a 24 reprieve from the horrors of addiction, from our past ways, from ourselves. Don't end up like my friend and countless others who didn't make it. There is a solution. Thanks.