View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Charlotte, I haven't been out to restaurants that much since I quit, but I have always been big on water - with a lemon if they've got it. When I want something different, I don't get much more creative than ginger ale or ice tea. "Home made" ginger ale is pretty good (for example, at a Thai place). I also drink tea at home (I change it up and try to force myself to drink green tea, but I always bounce back to either Early Grey for the aroma or orange pekoe for the kick - I think it is like a pacifier for me). When I quit drinking, I found myself latching on to tea right away (had a series of bad runs with coffee makers, so I stopped that losing battle). I bought ginger ale and some chocolate out of the blue at the grocery store too. I hated sweets the vast majority of the time as a drinker. I am pacing myself on the sweets, almost like a reward mechanism.

For me, the non-alc beer would be like having decaff coffee (I'm one of those that would not bother). I didn't like the taste of beer THAT much, it was just an acquired taste while using the properties of alcohol, like Sailor said...I have not tried it, and perhaps it would be a bad thing for me to get into. If I were to get "virgin" drinks, that might be the same kind of danger for me, like a prelim step to the alc ones. That's me though.

Keep going, sounds like you are hanging in there and in good spirits.