Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
legaleagle

Only you can answer the question of whether you have a problem - but I can tell you that I probably could have written your post when I was your age. Started drinking when I was a freshman in highschool then quickly started smoking weed and then doing coke - all while still being a straight A student, one of the "popular" kids, and a star of the basketball and softball team. I come from a great family with parents that have been married 30 plus years. If you didn't guess (only girls play softball when they're young!) I am also a female, and continued being successul, as I am now an attorney with a pretty nice job. Only problem is, is that I am 30 and am an alcoholic. Everyone knew it back then - friends, parents, teachers, coaches - but they all let the drinking and drugs go because in every other way I was a "good kid".

I'm not blaming anyone but myself - but a big part of me is just still bitter because I feel like I "made" myself this way by drinking so young. Who knows whether that is true or not - doesn't really matter at this point - it is what it is and I just have to do my best to get and keep myself sober.

My only advice to you - enjoy being a teenager!!! It goes by way too fast! But if you really think you may have a problem (which it seems you might think so) please begin by talking to an adult, guidance counselor - anyone. Believe me, the sooner you start treating this thing the better!!