View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Rika, I echo what Humblebee said above, I noticed at least one conversation about this about 2 weeks ago here. If your sponsor will not be open about your fears, then I guess you can look for a different one. It would be too bad if you really get a lot out of this one. If you misrepresented what really happened though, then maybe that is a sign you are not at your best with this person (I don't know) - since honesty would be important. I am not going to meetings, so I can't "talk like I know what it feels like," but I understand your fears. A long time ago, I was allowed to read from a narrative I put together at a meeting. I don't assume that would be legit for every group. But I was happy when I did it.

I don't know if your issue with speaking in front of people is related to a social anxiety in medical terms or if you are just very uncomfortable with it the way many people are. Public speaking of any kind is way up there on the list of fears human beings have, according to studies that have been done. That fear is nothing to be ashamed of.

I hope you will either do a good job at adapting to ways to defy the fear and keep gaining progress through AA or the method that works for you. And that is great that you have 3.5 months of sobriety, I am in that ballpark too.