View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sid

Just realizing I'm an alcoholic

Just joined and thought I would make my first post. After doing some reflecting recently I am just coming to the realization that I am an alcoholic. Guess that is what a DUI arrest will do sometimes.

I never thought I had an issue since I am an infrequent drinker and often don't have an issue with drinking too much. However, as I look back I realize that too often I drink more than I intended. Often feeling depressed and embarassed afterward. I realized. I realized that the amount I drank at anyone point in time depended more on the circumstances and who I was with rather than on any self control I had individually.

I've come to realize that it isn't the frequency with which one drinks but rather the results. To often my drinking had negative results. I can't really recall anything much positive coming out of my drinking. Plenty of negatives however.

In any event I felt I needed to seek out help and understanding with this new revalation as I was feeling quite outcast and alone. I attended my first AA meeting this past Thursday. It was a closed newcomer meeting and I felt immediately welcomed and uplifted. I attended my second meeting yesterday and my third today. I will probably attended a fourth tonight (Saturday).

Anyway, just thought I would say Hi and am looking forward to getting involved with this site and hopefully finding additional fellowship.