View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

I made a similar experience to some of the previous posters.
The last one and a half weeks I had a cold that was so bad that I took some otc cold medicine this time instead of herbal remedies, and although it didn't trigger any drinking cravings and actually attenuated the cold symptoms, it had also the unwelcome effects of a stimulant and I could definitely feel that my mood was lifting because of the chemicals in it, not because I was actually starting to feel better.

I didn't like the way it made me feel so stopped taking it- and anyways it just seems to make your symptoms go away temporarily but doesn't help the body to heal. In my experience, it doesn't make you get rid of a cold faster anyways. So from what I experienced I can easily imagine that cold medicines can be triggers and like Neo said, some of them contain pseudoephedrine, and it's probably better to stay away from it. I know if there is some important appointment coming up and you have a cold you don't want to miss it because of it, it is tempting to just take this stuff, but it is probably not worth it.