View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Alive, I started to think a little more and then remembered a couple of times I tried to get help (psychological help) when I was about 18 or 19. I went to a department that offered that at the university I was attending. I got one consultation with a PhD candidate. Then I went off on a big adventure I don't feel like talking about right now. Then about 2 years later I asked my doctor about how to get help. I don't know if it was the same visit or not, but I remember also saying I couldn't sleep, and he gave me some sleeping pill samples that could very well have been fake, ha ha, who knows. He also referred me to a colleague of his at the same university and who was tied to the same place I had been to. So I tried again and talked with another PhD candidate in Psychology. Nice conversation, but that was the end of that too (for some reason I kept hitting "low season" when they were about to close or something). It's like the best I got out of it was being complimented on the conversation, and maybe would have developed a crush if there had been another 2 or 3 visits. I was in the process of using alcohol as a coping device by that point - and it's too bad I kept going that way!

So I can see why you would participate in conversations with people who deal with addictions, since I have learned more about myself the hard way. Not being full of answers, necessarily, but it's a process. I'm glad you like it and can derive something from the site.