View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
suki44883
RIP Sweet Suki

I've read a lot of the other posts and I understand that alcoholism can be cured by only one person: the alcoholic. When he or she chooses to make a change. No matter how I approach her, she refuses to make the change.

Unfortunately, that's it in a nutshell. Until your sister chooses to get help, there's nothing you can do for her. It sucks, I know, but it is what it is.

There are people here who have lost husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters to alcoholism. They didn't love their addicts any less than you love your sister. The simple fact is, no one can force anyone to get treatment. Your sister is an adult and she has the right to live her life however she wants. You can't help her, but you don't have to stand there and watch.

Keep reading and try posting on our Friends and Family forum. You will get responses from many people who have been exactly where you are right now. Welcome to SR. (((HUGS)))

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information