View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool Consider the Source

Originally Posted by Gemmie View Post
Someone in AA recently said to me "A character defect isnt a character defect unless it is bothering you...doesnt matter if it is bothering someone else"

Has anyone heard this before??
I guess it's time for me and the minority opinion (just were I'm used to being). Although I've never said this exactly; actually, I've said something similar to this....: "Just because someone thinks one or more of my characteristics are character 'defects' doesn't necessarily make them so; could be the other person's 'defect' of perception or judgmentalism rearing its ugly head."

It appears that everybody here has already presumed that the other person is 'right' and they are pointing out an actual character defect. In my experience, when something like this has occurred, the first thing I do is consider the source (i.e.: do I usually value this person’s opinion.....). Sometimes, regardless of how I may feel about the other person, at the moment, I usually will sit and ruminate (atheists in recovery don’t pray.....LOLOL) over this and try to see if what they are seeing is an actual defect, or not; is it truly keeping me from being of service to god or my fellows.....? Obviously I can’t be of service to ’all’ my fellows; some fellows just don’t want service. As I said earlier, it could be a defect of theirs---as an example, this other person may see my association with those outside my race as a defect......hmmmmmm, mine or theirs, eh....?

After all this ruminating, I will either work on this ‘defect’ or not, and possibly try to explain to this other person why I don’t see as a defect what they see as a defect..........or perhaps not.........

So, after all this, I may not have heard this exact statement, but I may have an understanding of what they may have been trying to say...........then again, mebbe not.....LOLOL

NoelleR